Saturday, January 7, 2017

Our 3D2N Staycation at Mount Elizabeth Novena

So, on the night of the 15th of December, we made our way to Mount Elizabeth Novena to check-in for our 3D2N stay. We made it a point to check in as late as possible, so as to save the extra night stay. (yea yea cheapos to the highest degree, I know)

But to be honest, when the contractions started coming at 10pm, I wasn't quite sure if "this was it" or not. Sounds so noob right? I've been through this once pretty recently, surely I'd be more experienced than that?

Nope.

To say the least, this pregnancy has been ENTIRELY different from my first one. With Bart, there were no contractions painful contractions, no pain, no aches, no nothing. If not for the growing belly to remind me, I would probably have forgotten that I was pregnant. Even the delivery was so smooth and pleasant. (Ok, except for the big shock that the dad and I got when she came out and her head was so elongated. This, of course, is normal in all natural births. But being first-time parents back then, we didn't know that!)

This time round, I had no symptoms in the first trimester. But the second trimester hit me like a b*tch. I felt heavy and tired and clearly, breastfeeding on top of having to carry a toddler around 80% of the time didn't help much to relieve my problems. Baby Number Two was also A LOT more active in my tummy, making sure his presence was known.


Third trimester I had thrown in the towel. (Refer to previous post)

The great thing about it all is that Baby Number Two seemed to be pretty understanding towards his health-declining, increasingly-fatigued mother and decided to come out two weeks early. Woot!

Our EDD was 31st December 2016, and we were kinda hoping we could try for a New Year Baby (Hello Diaper Sponsorship!) but I guess fate would not have it so.

Our special alone time on
her first visit.
Either way, when I was headed to have my bath at about 9pm on the 15th, I had an inkling this was going to be the night. After Bart's bath, the first contraction came and I must say, it was then that I realized why in those TV shows and movies, people are always so drama about it. Because it really DOES hurt! Me being me, though, I refused to let it take me down. I continued to get Barty dressed for bed, gave her her milk, and went through our usual bedtime routine. Just as she was about to fall asleep I asked her, "Baby girl, Didi might come out today. Are you ready to be a Cheche?"

She looked up at me with those sweet sweet eyes, smiled, nodded and said "uh-huh", the way she always does when she means to say Yes; Closed her eyes, and fell into a peaceful sleep.

It was one of those heart-melting moments I pray I would never ever ever forget.

Now, I shall leave out the gory details of the whirlwind of events that happened after. Seriously, who wants to read about how I had to break the nurse's arm because the anaesthetist was taking what felt like forever (actually only about 30 minutes) to arrive, and then about how I had to birth a child? Yes, another birth story. Boring shizz, next please.

"Testing out" the bed. He actually made me
get off so he could take a nap on it...


So, fast forward to the fun part. The part I was looking forward to the entire pregnancy. The hotel hospital stay. We delivered Bart at Mount Elizabeth Novena also, and back then, the entire excitement of having a baby and being a new mom was just so overwhelming that I barely had a chance to truly enjoy my experience there. When they told me I could be discharged I was like "what?? So soon? But I haven't even finished my complimentary Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries yet..."

This time round I came with a vengeance. I'm gonna finish all my toiletries, all the sparkling water, cranberry juice and VitC 100s in the minibar, take 109234782691 photos with the photo props and thoughtfully positioned photo wall (right next to the window for good lighting) and eat up all the incredily large and delectable portions of gourmet hospital food. I made it a point to take a walk outside my room to the nursery and relish in the quiet, serene ambience of the ward.

Making full use of the photo props
before checking out.
Didn't manage to do all that eventually. They kept topping up the toiletries and drinks and made it so convenient for me to "call for baby" that I didn't even have to leave the comfort of my room. The comfort of my BED, in fact. But of course, I did get out of bed la. Took a couple of nice showers and long poops (sorry not sorry for the details) in the five-star bathroom. If not for the safety bars and "call for help" buttons I would've thought I was in the Shangri-La.

Anyways, I'm writing this post about 3 weeks out of hospital and seriously, I'm missing it already. (Actually forgotten some of the stuff which I wanted to rave about...)

What left the best impression though, was not how splendid the facilities in the hospital were, nor how luxurious the bedding, nor how thoughtfully designed the single-bedded rooms, nor how perfectly grilled the sirloin steak was.  

It was the nurses, the housekeepers, the waiters and waitresses (that's what was written on their badges), the concierge and everyone of the staff who put the soul; the heartbeat into what would otherwise just be a luxe hospital.


My last breakfast in bed. :(
The stellar service of all the staff who maintained the highest levels of professionalism at all times truly deserves a shout-out. I can't imagine if I had to attend to someone's minute request of "can I have a milo please?" in the middle of the night.

Before this starts to sound like some academy award thank you speech, let me just say that I would never have thought that some nurses not only have the charm and ability to literally brighten up any room/ward they walk into, some also have great talent and potential to be stand-up comedians. Specifically, NC Norijah, who came into my room on the second day to give the father of my children and I the low-down on getting the sleepy baby to latch on properly (for chrissakes). Although I'm quite sure she's probably done this "script" a million times before, it was so relatable and funny and it actually put Chun in his place."Daddy, have you read the notes in this pink file?" "huh? What file?" "THIS FILE. You haven't read it? What have you been doing huh? Your wife never read because she's busy breastfeeding and she just gave birth, that's understandable. Why you never read? What're you busy doing? Catching pokemons is it? READ THE NOTES IN THE FILE." Sounds fierce, but it was all in good humour. Effective though, because although he (still) didn't read the notes in the file, he took on a more active role in burping and diaper changing, and actually got up at night to help out. As opposed to sleeping through the night with baby number one.

When we came home from the hospital, on one of those days where both babies were asleep at the same time (*chorus of angels*), I took the file and had a look at the very first page of notes. This is what I saw.

I like this hospital very much.


Of course, on top of having (in my eyes, and I'm sure many others too) one of the best gynaes in Singapore to deliver my baby, one of the best paediatricians to see to baby to ensure all is well, and of course, one of the best teams of staff and nurses at this awesome hospital to recuperate in, I also have to thank God for the great support system of family and friends.


I never got to claim my Oscar nomination but delivering babies with this lot sure is enough to make me feel like a star.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, may i know the estimated bill size for your stay? Were the nurses experienced enough as i've read reviews saying that they nurses are pretty young.

Unknown said...

I just delivered my baby there in June. The nurses there are young but almost all have babies of their own and all are expert in breastfeeding and burping of baby. I find it difficult to burp newborn as they drink so little but the nurses there are so patient burping my baby for almost 1.5 hours.they also very good in holding baby and my husband learn from them different ways of carrying baby I would say it's nice to have you d energetic happy mummies as your nurse I give them full points on their help during my stay It's a great journey especially for daddy. Once baby is delivered daddy gets to follow baby from the operating theatre to nursery to ward.he followed the whole process and never been away from the baby. It's a great experience My total coat including obgyn and anesthetician and pediatrician fees for 5 days 4 nights c sec without any deduction is 23k on the junior suite

Unknown said...

See below