Friday, February 17, 2012

Flying High!


About a week ago, I recieved an invite in my inbox. It said "Be WOWed by a bank that will fly with you!"


Yes, I want to be "WOWed". And yes, I want to FLY!


Curiousity and excitement overcame me and I eagerly clicked to open the email. If it was snail mail, I would've ripped the envelope apart in my eagerness.


Now, I must admit, I don't know much about financial planning and investing savings and fixed deposit accounts and blablablah. I come from the very traditional school of thought. "Spend what you have, don't spend what you don't". And, "money doesn't drop from the sky, you have to WORK for it."


I'm not a risk taker when it comes to dollars and cents. I don't gamble for fear of losing all my savings. Even dabbling is the stock market is considered gambling to me! (I know, I know, you must be thinking, "omg, this girl lives in a well".)

So anyways, after a hard day of work, I rushed over to Sentosa for the event with this thinking, "don't sign up for anything. Just go for the free ride".


When I got there, I was pleased to see a buffet line. FOOD! It was then that I remembered I hadn't eaten all day! Just as I was about to attack the food, someone went, "Joanne?"

This was the thought that ran through my brain in that split second as I turned around to see who it was, "damnit don't talk to me now, I want my food!"

But, it was a pleasant surprise.

My LONG LOST COUSIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't seen her in YEARS! Almost DECADES, in fact! Immediately, all the tiredness of the day disappeared and I was exhilarated to have a family member around, just in case I died flying.

Anyways, we settled down eventually, and the talk started. After the first 5 minutes, I turned to Darren Ang, who was seated next to me and whispered two words, "complicated sia". Darren, being the very nice guy as usual, laughed.


Well, looks like my brain wasn't going to go on snooze mode. I switched on, and paid CLOSE ATTENTION. (If all the other bloggers understood what was going on, I should be able to too! I can't be THAT stupid.)

And THIS is what I've learnt.

1. Bonus$aver, Standard Chartered's newest programme is an innovative Current Account that gives you the highest interest rate in town, combined with the Bonus$aver World MasterCard credit and/or debit card. (Ok, good, they have the debit card version. I'm not a fan of spending on credit.)


2. Bonus$aver gives you the highest interest rate of 1.88% p.a in town! All you need to do is to charge a minimum of SGD$500 every month.


3. Unlike other current and savings accounts, Bonus$aver is a unique account with interest rates that are higher than any time deposits. As interest is based on a flat rate, you earn the same high interest from the very first dollar.


With so much to shout about, what else are we waiting for? Let's FLY. HIGH!